06 Jun Keratin Smoothing Treatment Aftercare: 9 Do’s and Don’ts
If you’ve just had a keratin smoothing treatment to defrizz and straighten your hair, congratulations you’re on your way to enjoying beautifully styled locks for up to four months.
But as with any hair service, proper aftercare is essential to protect and prolong the results.
Here are Freedom’s 9 do’s and don’ts to ensure you take care of your newly keratin-treated hair.
- When blow drying your hair, use the cool setting and hold the dryer at least six inches away from your head. During the first three days, we recommend if you are working out, that post workout you blow dry your hair until it is completely dry. This will ensure that your sweat doesn’t damage the treatment.
- Invest in a keratin-infused hair care routine. Speak with your stylist, but investing in the proper haircare post treatment is just as important as the treatment itself. You don’t want to undo all hard work and money you’ve invested into your hair.
- Get regular trims to keep your ends healthy and that no excess damage occurs after your treatment.
- Use a Silk Pillowcase. Using a silk pillowcase can help reduce any friction, keeping your hair smooth and less prone to damage. Avoid a cotton pillowcase at all costs.
- Don’t wet your hair for at least three days after your treatment. Water is your hair’s biggest enemy, especially in the first three days post treatment. Avoid activities like swimming, sauna’s and spa’s for at least two weeks!
- Don’t tie your hair up in a ponytail or clip it too tightly. We recommend avoid brushing your hair for the first 24-48 hours. The Keratin treatment needs to have sufficient time to be fully absorbed into the hair. Immediately post treatment, the Keratin in your hair is still malleable so as a general rule of thumb, ‘be gentle.’
- Don’t use any other hot styling tools, such as curling irons or hot rollers for at least 2 weeks, but try limit the use of these tools all together to get the most out of your Keratin treatment.
- Don’t go out in the sun for at least two weeks and if you are ensure that you wear a hat to protect your newly treated hair from damaging UV rays.
- Don’t use any products that contain sulfates or alcohols. These ingredients will strip keratin from your hair and undo all of the hard work your stylist just did.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your keratin smoothing treatment looking its best and enjoy smooth, frizz-free hair for months to come.
Just remember, keratin is not a permanent solution, so you will need to repeat the treatment every few months to maintain the results.
If you have always wanted to free the frizz and try a Keratin Smoothing Treatment, for an extremely limited time we are letting you test drive our Keratin membership for just $99 (save $146). Click here for more information.